We live in a society defined by some of the greatest technological advancements. Whether a product is designed to help you cook a meal faster, talk to your friends across long distances, or improve your health, progressions are always being made to increase our quality of life.
With that said, the realm of dentistry is no stranger to such progressions. One great treatment that is available to you is laser dentistry. If you’re looking to gather more information about laser dentistry in Walden, contact our local dental practice.
What is Laser Dentistry?
Laser dentistry refers to the practice of using a special laser to perform treatments that restore your oral health. The term “laser” is actually an acronym that stands for “light amplification by the stimulated emission of radiation.” To put it simply, they work by focusing an extremely narrow beam of energy onto a specific target – in this case, oral tissues.
This method of care has been deemed credible by the FDA since the 1990s. Although a lot of people assume lasers are utilized as a way to perform oral surgery, they can also be integrated into other dental processes like:
- Teeth whitening.
- Remedying periodontal (gum) disease.
- Treating tooth decay or cavities.
- To seal small tubes surrounding your tooth’s root, therefore decreasing sensitivity.
- Treating tongue or lip tie. The laser cuts through the frenulum or excess skin that restricts the movement of both these entities.
- Removing clumps of tissues to help dentures fit better.
- Removing oral tumors.
To learn more about the specifics of laser dentistry, reach out to a dentist near you. They’ll be able to answer any questions you have.
The Benefits of Laser Dentistry
Even though no method of dentistry is one hundred percent perfect, there are certainly some treatments that provide more benefits than others. Noted below are the primary advantages of receiving laser dentistry in Legacy:
- Treatments are more precise.
- Less invasive.
- It’s extremely efficient.
- Minimally invasive technique.
- You’ll feel little to no pain.
- The intensity and speed of the laser are adjustable.
- There will be less oral scarring, especially concerning your tissues, less bleeding, and less potential for an infection to develop.
- Quicker recovery time.
Are you looking to undergo this particular treatment? Consult with a dentist in Legacy today if you are. When you come, they will perform a thorough evaluation and take multiple digital x-rays of the internal structure of your teeth and gums. This helps them determine the extent of care that’s needed. They will also be able to identify if laser dentistry is indeed the correct route for you to take.
The Drawbacks of Laser Dentistry
There are two sides to every coin, and that rationale applies to dental techniques too. Here are some things to keep in mind before you decide to commit to visiting a dentist in Walden to have laser dentistry done:
- Lasers cannot be used on teeth that have received a dental filling.
- You may still need anesthesia.
- The pulp of your tooth is still vulnerable to damage.
- Other dental instruments like drills, polishing tools, and scalers are still necessary for most treatments.
- Your gums may be harmed.
- Lasers are not a universal tool; as of now, they cannot be used to perform every type of treatment. Limitations still exist.
At Walden Dental Wellness, we offer convenient and reliable treatment for laser dentistry near you. Call, come in and visit us in person, or go to our website to schedule an appointment today! We look forward to helping you love your smile once more!